Sunday, October 4, 2020

Stone Old Guardian 2010

I cracked open my second growler of Old Guardian 2010 last weekend. The beer is now 10 years old and spent the last year and change in a crowler in my refrigerator. The beer is not what I remembered. The sweet malt had faded. A nice chocolate taste had emerged and the hops were kicking. malt. I don't know if the result is simply part of the aging process or being the crowler too long. Folks on Beer Advocate warned me that crowlers are NOT generally suitable for long-term storage. 

I would not rate what I had as 7 glasses but am leaving the original rating alone.

20 Aug. 2019
This vintage American barleywine was on tap @ Stone. It is yummy. It has aged wonderfully. - way better than the Big Foots in my "cellar". Loads of sweet malt with backbone of muted hops. Don't tell my wife; but, I bought two crowlers. The opportunity may never come again: Stone quit brewing Old Guardian circa 2015.

Rating = 7 glasses. 

No comments: