Sunday, January 11, 2015

Home brew: Shakespeare Stout

I brewed my first beer. I had assisted ML several times. My main job was to drink beer. After she started using all-grain recipes I decided I wanted to take the lead. My daughters bought some good equipment for me and I finally pulled the trigger. I wanted a stout for the cold weather ahead and followed a recipe for a clone of Rogue Shakespeare Stout that I found online.

I am pleased. The beer looks beautiful. It is really dark and a nice head forms when poured. It has flavor, lots of smoke, some charcoal, and a blast of hops. I fear that it is not balanced, the hops are too much for the malt. Perhaps it will mellow some as it sits. I may want to tweak the recipe if I follow it again.

3 glasses, maybe 4

Update: 22 Jan. Getting better. Rating = 4 glasses. I would brew again in a heartbeat.

No comments: