Sunday, January 24, 2021

Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA

Brewer's Notes: You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

Jan. 25, 2021
Oh no, how the mighty have fallen. I enjoyed a recent can last night. It was sweeter than I remembered and lacked the hop bite I sought. Perhaps my taste buds were off. Perhaps the brewer is not as careful following being sold at bankruptcy auction in 2018. 

Downgraded Rating = 5 glasses

Aug. 28, 2019
I really like this beer. It visits my refrigerator frequently and was my favorite IPA for years. Alas, I have tasted better: Pompeii. Also, it is not quite in the same class as 
Pliny the Elder, a double IPA. Therefore and with sadness, I am demoting Finest Kind's rating.

Downgraded rating = 6 glasses.

Previous Reviews

No comments: