Sunday, February 11, 2024

3 Fonteinen Oude Kriek Intens Rood

Intens Rood is a delicious "imperial" kriek.

Beeradvocate: "Made from 40% cherries."

Label notes: "Sour cherries were macerated on young peeted lambik and partly on two-year old straight lambik in a stainless steel tank. We blended with young and three-year old (!) lambik. 55% of the blend is old lambik and the final fruit intensity is 567 grams of sour cherries per liter. .... Ingredients: water, barley malt (60%), wheat malt (40%), sour cherries, old hops.

Tasting notes
February 2, 2024. I drank a bottle given to my by BG when she and SJ visited us for dinner. Wow! I really liked it. It is tart and the cherries give an additional punch of sour in the finish. Initial tartness stimulates the salivary glands. Some vinegar pops through, too. The cherry flavor is definitely noticeable but  does not overwhelm the taste. I liked it so much that I went to the beer store to buy another bottle. (I also picked up a bottle of Oude Kriek, Rodenbach Vintage 2018, and De Ranke Kriek).

I am giving it a rating of 7 glasses after one tasting.

Postscript. Having tasted Oude Kriek, I am downgrading the rating to 6.5.

Rating = 6.5 glasses.

No comments: