Saturday, November 18, 2023

Bells Expedition Stout

Expedition Stout is a MASSIVE Russian Imperial Stout. 

Brewer's notesOne of the earliest examples of Russian Imperial Stouts in the United States, this beer offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with aging in mind.

Beer AdvocateExpedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.

Tasting notes
2311: Another beer packaged Sept. 10, 2021. Now the beer is a little over two years old. It was dessert after Lisa's birthday dinner and followed too much food and alcohol for a detailed recollection. It was BIG and good. No soy but loads of black malt. 

Rating = 5 glasses


Dec 13, 2002. 
I am drinking a bottle packaged Sept, 10, 2021, making the beer about 1.25-years old. I think that I like it but am not really sure. Charcoal with some soy with a big hop bite hidden by chocolate malt is what I taste. It pours slow and black. My ratings have ranged from 7 glasses to 3 glasses. The rating seems to decrease as the beer ages. This is the second of what I think was a 4-pack and is better that what I remember when the beer was "fresh". I think that drinking the beer may be like playing basketball for Bob Knight - I want to see if I can do it.

Rating: 5 glasses.

August, 2008
A 2.5 year-old bottle. Ditto as 0905. Downgraded from 4 glasses. Click here for previous review. Top 100: 29 December 2005 and 10 March 2007. (Not on 30 January 2009 or 9 August 2009.) Rating: 3 glasses

No comments: