Monday, December 18, 2023

North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout

Old Rasputin is a wonderful Imperial Stout.


Brewer's notes: Brewed in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling it — A sincere friend is not born instantly.

Tasting notes
2312: I revisited an old friend recently. The beer is BIG with loads of dark malt, chocolate, and a titch of soy. My bottle was fresh. It was bottled 30970913 = September, 13, 2023. The batch was 097. Perhaps it needs more time in the cellar.  

Rating = 5.5 glasses, a slight downgrade.

(1303) This is becoming my favorite stout. Had a bottle with dessert.  I purchased the bottle about 6 months ago. Nice and plenty of flavor but drinkable. A solid 6.

(1210) Old Rasputin is what the name says, a big Imperial Stout. Nice chocolate and smoke flavors with a touch of charcoal. Thick and smooth. I purchased this bottle in November 2011 in Mathews; it had aged at least 1 year. Yummy. I discovered that I left an inch or so in the glass overnight and drank what was left in the morning. Still good. I liked the beer so much that I went out this week and bought 3 new 4-packs. I moved its rating from 5 to 6 glasses and thought about 7.

??? Old Rasputin by North Coast is much better with some age on it than fresh. I enjoyed a bottle that was at least one year old that I bought three 4-packs from my local Total Wine store. I cracked open what I assume was a relatively fresh bottle last night. It was good but not the flavor experience I enjoyed with the older bottle. The flavors were harsher and not as complex. Judged in isolation, I would probably give it 4 or 5 stars.

(1111) Very nice. May rate 6 glasses.

(1103) Ditto as below.

(0911) Pleasant dark chocolate, a hint of coffee and hops. Flavorful, complex, and easy drinking.

0904: A bottle @ Joe's. A hint of sweet malt, followed by coffee, chocolate and charcoal. Complex and big. Upgraded from 3.

?? A fine stout. 

No comments: