Friday, January 2, 2009

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Beer: Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale (2008)

Brewer: Sierra Nevada

Style: American Barleywine

Tasting notes: (4) Wonderful malty sweetness balanced by piney hops. It had a flavor in the malt I have trouble placing: chocolaty port? (3) SWEET caramel malt followed by a big, bitter, piney bite. SNPA on steroids? (2) Lots of pine but not too much and almost quaffable. (1) Piney hops. Surprising easy drinking. Is it me or the vintage? Should age well.

Comments: SNBFBW was my first really BIG beer. I thought it was close to being over the top. It is now one of my most cellared beers. It is released once a year around January. It goes great w/ carrot cake covered in white icing.

Dates on which reviewers at BeerAdvocate.com rated it as one of the top 100 beers on the planet: 29 December 2005.

Recommendation: Recommended highly.

No comments: